Monday, June 30, 2008

Almost Vacation time!

Well, another week has passed with no new posts. I am getting better about waiting two weeks between posts. I'm trying to get this blog thing to stick in my mind so I will post regularly.

I really don't have a lot to say at the moment, I am getting ready for a needed vacation. I think my mind has already started the process of checking out early. My wife, kids and I are headed to Arkansas to visit with my mother’s side of the family. I am excited about it. We are having a reunion (1st one in 30 years). My mother is one of seven brothers and sisters. I have a LOT of cousins so it will be a Big to do.

The one thing I am excited about for this trip is that my kids get to experience the essence of a small town July 4th celebration. I remember as a young boy probably as far back as 4 years old riding on a tractor with my father in the parade. At the end of the parade route all the floats, tractors, cars and everything else people wanted to decorate and show off would rush to get the "tricked out ride" to it's rightful parking spot, be it the owner's home or the tractor company or car lot or where ever, and get to the community picnic grounds. This town shut down (and still does) and everyone was (and still does) go for a day of good wholesome family fun. I want my children to experience the spirit of a small town gathering to celebrate something that is special to everyone. So we will be doing the ring toss games and I hope the miniature train is still operational and we get a ride or two around the small oval track that sits at the corner of the park beside the main road. I will make an attempt to capture some of this small town's celebration of our great countries 232nd Birthday as well as out family reunion and share it with you. Keep an eye out and if I get the chance while we are there I will post some stuff here to share a portion of my childhood and the current affair with everyone.

What about this dry weather? I was riding past Lake Cunningham (a small man made lake near our house yesterday and I noticed the water level has gotten so low that plant life had grown high enough to clear the top of the water. It is covering it and will soon look more like a marsh area than a small lake. On that same note my sister-in-law was a Lake Hartwell this weekend and told me it doesn’t look like the same place due to the low water levels. Another friend that owns a cabin on Hartwell was telling me early last week the cove his cabin is in is so low. He said the deepest part of the cove is no more than 15 feet. He had to move his dock last weekend and said they had to disassemble a large portion and leave it where it was because the water was so shallow that it was dragging the bottom and they couldn’t get it to move. We are going to have some serious problems if we don’t see a good bit of rain in the very near future.

OK, I’m getting a little long so I will go for now and try again very soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have fun on vacation!

Angie Lawrence said...

Mark, I'm with you on the small town July 4th celebration. I love to go to the big town of Hagerstown, IN...town of 2000 happy people for their celebration. They still have the parades with the tractors...have a great time!!! Hope you all have a blast!! Angie

The Brighter Side of Things said...

Thanks!!!